Tuesday 20 August 2013

Freezable Courgette Cake - it's my Birthday!

It's my birthday so I have made a cake... what have I got to put in it????  Courgettes of course - ruddy loads of them so I found a rather fantastic recipe and I thought I would share it with you.......

This makes two 2lb loaves so make one and freeze one - apparently it will last in the fridge for a week.... I think mine lasted about 3 hours....

Ingredients
3 eggs (from happy outdoor, organic chickens!)
275ml sunflower oil
350g caster sugar (fair trade)
350g courgettes (or small marrows), grated
165g plain flour
165g wholemeal flour (I used bread flour and it was fine)
1 tsp baking powder
2tsp bicarbonate of soda
1.5 tbsp ground cinnamon (fairtrade)
175g raisins and sultanas (fairtrade)
150g mixed nuts (I used them whole but you could chop if you like)


Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Grease and base line two 2lb loaf tins with greaseproof paper. 
  2. Measure all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix well to make a thick batter. Pour into the prepared tins. 
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for about one hour or until the loaves are firm and a fine skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool the cakes a little before turning out and leaving to cool completely on a wire rack. 
  4. Store in the fridge and use within a week or freeze and defrost when needed.
You could ice it with a bit of soft cheese and icing sugar but I don't think it needs it.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment